Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche: Reading Diary B

Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche
I am so glad that Cupid and Psyche lived happily ever after! I was so worried that Venus/Aphrodite was going to ruin everything. Venus took her jealousy a little too far. I understand being jealous of Psyche’s beauty because people started worshiping her but torturing a pregnant girl is a little much.


I truly felt bad for Psyche in this part of the story. No matter how hard she prayed the Goddesses just couldn’t help her. In this chapter, I noticed that loyalty plays a role in this story. We first see it with Psyche and her sister and then again with Venus, Ceres, and Juno. Ceres and Juno both felt for Psyche but because of their family ties they cannot go against Venus. Another example of loyalty I found was in The Third Task between Jupiter’s eagle and Cupid. The eagle decides to help Psyche because his loyalty to Cupid. The last example of loyalty that I found was in The Sleep of the Dead. In this part of Cupid and Psyche’s story, we see loyalty between Jupiter and Cupid. Although Cupid has played many tricks on him, he still helps Cupid cheerfully helps Cupid.


The task parts of this love story reminded me a lot of a story I read about a King and a boy who wanted to marry the King’s daughter. Like Venus, the king made the young boy complete three tasks to prove he is worthy of the princess’s hand. The three tasks also reminded me of one of the stories I found while I was brainstorming topics for my storytelling project; it too involved tasks in order to prove worthiness. When the ants helped Psyche with the first task, I was reminded of Rumpelstiltskin when he helped the girl spin the straw into gold. Overall, I really enjoyed this story and I may even read more about Lucius story about how he turned back into a human.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment