Thursday, January 15, 2015

Storybook Favorites

The Princess Constellations:
I really liked the idea of this story! I have no background knowledge of this topic but I still found it to be very interesting. I thought that it was really cool how the author decided to write the story from the point of view of the stars. I love reading and strong and brave princesses as opposed to the “damsel in distress” type of princesses that we are used to seeing and reading about. The introduction does a great job of explaining what the story is about. I think that it sets up the main plot very nicely and makes me want to read more. Overall, I think that the main thing that attracted me to this story was the title and the page layout. The dark purples combined with the shining star really made the layout come together.

Demigod Daycare:
This story seems great! The title instantly drew me in. It reminded me of a combination of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and Disney’s Hercules. The Muses were my favorite characters in the Disney version of Hercules. They were so fun and sassy! Using a daycare setting was a cool way to set up the basis of the story. I felt like I was learning along with the Demigod kids. The introduction made me want to keep reading more (after I finish this assignment, I am going to go back and read it). I liked the font that the author used as well. It made me feel like I was reading this out of an old huge fairytale book.

Peter Pan:
I LOVE Peter Pan! The lock screen and home screen wallpaper on my iPhone are Peter Pan quotes! Anything Peter Pan related is sure to be a hit with me (except for the live action version on TV)! The layout of the page was great. The greens and whites and the font that looked like someone’s handwriting gave the page a whimsical and youthful feel, just like the boy himself. I also liked the style and feel of the writing. It makes the reader feel connected to the story.

 

2 comments:

  1. I think you picked some really great storybooks! My favorite was The Princess Constellations one. I think it's great to showcase the strength of those girls, as well as the obstacles and situations they had to face. It's so different (in such a good way) from what we are so used to hearing, about being the girl that has to be saved by a man when in trouble. What a great storybook! I also love Peter Pan, so that was a fun storybook to look through! I like the style of that website and how the writing was fun and concise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great choices for storybooks. My favorite of the three was the Princess Constellations story. Wow, I like how the story connected the princesses to the stars. How neat was that? I am also a fan of princesses who are considered strong and to be heroines. The damsel in distress storyline has been done way too many times. The picture that you chose was incredible! The loved the vivid colors and the princess looked so beautiful and heavenly. Her circlet that she is wearing around her head is gorgeous and makes me think of the Elven princess from the Lord of the Rings Series. I still like your other choices too, but the Princess story was my favorite by far.

    ReplyDelete