Sunday, January 25, 2015

MythFolklore Storybook Topics Brainstorm

Topic: Mermaid Stories from around the world
Comments: When I thought of mermaid stories, I used to think of Disney's The Little Mermaid. When I was in middle school, I had the opportunity to read the Grimm Brothers' version of the story and it was completely different from Disney's version.
Possible Stories: I searched the Un-Textbook for Mermaid stories and found the Hans Christian Anderson version. I also searched Sacred Text Archive and found some stories about sirens as well. I didn't realize there were so many different mermaid and siren stories.
Sample Stories: I searched the Sacred Text Archive and found an interesting story about a king who promised a mermaid his first born son.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: The Mermaid and the Boy
Book Title: The Brown Fairy Book
Book Author: Andrew Lang
Year: 1904


Topic: Fairies
Comments: I have always loved Fairies, Nymphs, and Elves. I am very interested in learning about the different types and interpretations of Fairies from around the world. I know that there are many different types of Fairies and I am excited to learn about how Fairies vary from culture to culture and region to region.
Possible Stories: I found some cool stories about the Peris (Fairies) from Turkish fairy tales. I also looked at Sacred Text Archive and found some cool Irish and Scottish Fairy stories. I also found some things about Fairy revenge that would be fun to write about.
Sample Stories: I found an awesome story about Water Fairies who disguise themselves as gold rings floating in the water and capture women and children.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Water Fairies
Book Title: Scottish Fairy and Folk Tales
Book Author: George Douglas
Year: 1901

Topic: Elves
Comments: As I mentioned above, I really love Elves. My favorite Elves are the Elves from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books/movies. I love that they are tall and graceful as opposed to the more common imagining of Elves being tiny creatures.
Possible Stories: I know that there are many stories of Elves from around the world. I look at Sacred Text Archives and found stories about Scandinavian Elves and French Elves from Brittany. The story about the Elves from Brittany described the Elves' rituals and dancing.
Sample Stories: On Sacred Text Archive, I found a story about French Elves from Brittany. The story describes them as mischievous little creatures whose song and dance lures in humans who hear it and make them dance and sing until they cant any longer. The king and queen in the story are afraid that they will be lured in by the Elves' song until they discover that the wooden spoon that the king is holding wields some magical power over the Elves.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: The Hunchback and the Elves
Book Title: Folk Tales of Brittany
Book Author: Elsie Masson
Year: 1929

Topic: Witches
Comments: As a Harry Potter kid, witches and wizards are a big deal to me. I remember watching this movie called The Witches and being slightly terrified but completely intrigued. Anjelica Huston was one scary witch when she took off her "human face." I also liked watching movies about good witches. Practical Magic is one of my favorite movies! I've always wanted to dress up as a witch for Halloween and fly off of my roof like Sandra Bullock did in the movie.
Possible Stories: I found a book called Aradia (The Gospel of the Witches) on Sacred Text Archive that claims to be the real sacred text of traditional witches from Italy. There were many more stories about witches and witch craft but I couldn't quite narrow them down to one that I would want to use.
Sample Stories: I searched Sacred Text Archive and the Un-Textbook and found a cool story about two girls and an old witch who hire them as servants. I found the story interesting because it felt like a combination of Hansel and Gretel and one of Aesop's Fables because it involved a witch in an oven and it had a hidden moral towards the end of the story.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: The Old Witch 
Book Title: More English Fairy Tales
Book Author: Joseph Jacobs
Book Year: 1894


No comments:

Post a Comment