Saturday, January 31, 2015

Styles


Witches in Fairytales: Styles Brainstorm

Topic: My storybook will be about witches from different fairytale/legends from around the world. My goal is to find four witches from 4 different fairytales. One story that I would like to write about is the story of a Russian witch named Baba Yaga. Another story I would like to include is the English fairytale of The Old Witch. I do not think I will have too much trouble finding more stories about witches. My only concern is that some of the stories I found were more recent folklore stories (I found some from the 70s) that I may not be able to use.




Possible Styles:

Story Time: I like the idea of having a babysitter telling the kids that she is babysitting stories about the witches. When she first arrives to the house, the kids are running wild and misbehaving. Most of the witch stories that I found involved naughty children and had some type of lesson at the end of them. The babysitter could use the witch stories as a way to scare the children into behaving.

Travel: I could create a character who is studying the folklore of witches. In order to learn more about these witches, he travels to each country/ place of origin and have one of the locals there tell him the stories about their famous withes.

Witch Convention: I also like the idea of all of the witches from different stories gathering together at a “witch convention.” At this convention, the witches can swap their stories. The witches could tell the stories from their point of views. Maybe the original stories were all one big misunderstanding and the children or adults in the story are the real villains and not the witches.  

Fairytale Children: Like the “witch convention” idea, I could have the fairytale heroes/ heroines come together and tell their stories of escape from these witches.

Fairytale Academy: This idea is similar to the story time idea. The framework could be that the boys and girls that attend a school in a fairytale land have to give a report on witches. The children could tell the story of these witches in the form of a research project/presentation for their class.

 
 
 

Bibliography:

Baba Yaga, from Old Peter's Russian Tales, by Arthur Ransome, [1916], at sacred-texts.com

The Old Witch, from More English Fairy Tales, by Joseph Jacobs, at sacred-texts.com
 

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving these ideas! I also love witches, so that's probably why I'm so enthusiastic about your storybook project already (haha).
    The babysitting storybook idea you have sounds like it would be told in a frametale fashion and would make the storybook easy to follow. The stories would also be extremely relevant to the situation!
    The traveler storybook also sounds interesting because each culture has their different views on witches and their own special flavor of witchy folk tales. If you could convey that 'flavor' into your writing, it would make this storybook especially good.
    The witch convention sounds hilarious and original - I really like it. Having witches compare their wands and brooms as they swap tales... this storybook has tons of potential.
    The Fairytale children is probably the most morbid out of the ideas you have, but in no way does that make it bad! Not only would it be original, but I'm curious to see how you would portray the children after having narrowly escaped the clutches of a witches' talons.
    Fairytale academy sounds like fun as well, with fairy children reporting on famous witches (maybe some of the witches could be their idols?) Alternatively, you could make it to where one (or more) of the famous witches talked about is actually a professor at the school!
    Good luck with which one you choose! I'm really curious to see where you're going to take this project!

    ReplyDelete