Thursday, February 19, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Brer Rabbit



I have never read Brer Rabbit before so I was not too sure what to expect. The unique dialect is what really makes these folklore stories stand out. When I read the description of the book, I expected the stories to be very similar to Aesop’s Fables. Once I started reading the stories, I started to realize that the only thing that Aesop’s Fables and Brer Rabbit have in common is the use of animals as the main characters (at least in my opinion). I’ve seen dialect in a few stories but I do not think I have ever read a story that uses nothing but dialect throughout the whole story. I also listened to some of the stories using Libriox. Listening to someone read the stories made them come to life more than when I started reading the stories myself. While I was listening, the voices that the people reading the stories used reminded me of the crows in the movie Dumbo. The voices that were used in these stories were also similar to the voices used in the To Kill a Mockingbird auto.

                One thing that I liked about this unit is the use of similes. These stories are filled with southern similes and I absolutely love it. My grandparents and my friends’ grandparents use similes similar to the ones used in this unit. I guess those type of sayings are very unique and important in southern culture.

                Overall, I am on the fence about whether or not I really liked this unit. Overall, some of the stories were entertaining but, the dialect was a little hard to listen to.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment