Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Reading Diary B: Arabian Nights-Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp

Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp

I went in to this story expecting something similar to Disney’s version of Aladdin(even though the notes about the story said not to). I have to say that although I do love Abu very much, I enjoyed this version of the story more than I thought I would once I found out how different it was. I thought it was cool that in this story Aladdin had two genies! I had to go back and reread one part of this story because when I first read it, I didn’t realize that he possessed two genies. I think this is because I was still expecting this version to the Disney one.

 Besides the two genies, another thing that I found interesting was the fact that this version took place in China. It was kind of strange that the characters still had Arabic names even though the story was set in China. It was also weird that what would be called an emperor in China was still called a Sultan as if they were in the Middle East. Another thing that confused me was how Aladdin and his mother easily believed that the magician was Aladdin’s uncle. I’m not an expert but I know that people from Africa and people from China have very different features. Maybe the magician transformed himself to look like he was from China.

Overall, I think that I enjoyed this version of Aladdin because of the amount of the magic that was involved. This version was basically one huge magic fight with the princess’s hand as the prize.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment