Thursday, March 26, 2015

Extra Reading Diary Week 10



As a Texan, I was really excited to read these stories. When I was in elementary school, we took a field trip to a Native Museum and the guide told us some stories from some of the Native American tribes in Texas. I really enjoyed this story. I see Spanish moss all of the time back home and I ever really knew what it was called but I knew that it kind of creeped me out. Its grey color always gave it an eerie feel but this story has made me look at Spanish moss in a whole new light. I love the idea that the moss is actually North Wind’s hair! It actually makes sense. It hardly ever gets cold and Texas and now I know that it is because South Wind fought the North Wind and scared him away! Such a fun and cool story! 


When I think of cottonwood trees, I think of my Grandparents’ house. There are tons of cottonwood trees where my grandparents live. Whenever my cousins and I would go outside and play, there would always be cotton floating around in the air. We would sometimes make a game of it and see who could try and catch the most cotton. This story is quite sad and nostalgic at the same time. I liked that it explained multiple things as opposed to just why the cottonwood’s seeds fly off and travel through the air. The poor owl and loon were cursed and the poor pigeon’s wife dies all because of a misunderstanding.  Not only does this story serve as a good origin story but it also serves as a lesson in communication. 



No comments:

Post a Comment