Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Reading Diary B: Alaskan Legends(Continued)


As I was reading this story, all I could think about is the TV show The Smurfs. Like the woman that lived in the southland, Smurfette was the only woman living among the male Smurfs. I wonder how she and the woman that lived in the southland felt. Did the Smurfs fight over Smurfette the way the men fought over the woman?
I did enjoy the story of the first woman. It was very cool how they explained why the women of the south and the women of the north are talented in different areas. When I was reading about how the men were fighting over the woman all I could picture is them pulling her like a tug-of-war rope and I couldn’t help but laugh. I was glad that they just split the woman in two instead of accidentally killing her. If this story was a part of the Asia and Africa unit then the woman probably would have died because there was a lot of murder involved in the stories in that unit.




I have read a few moon and sun origin stories and almost all of them involve lovers. The moon is the woman/girl and the sun is the man/boy and vice versa. The use of food (berries and meat) to explain why the moon fades in Alaska is something I have never read before.




No comments:

Post a Comment