Thursday, April 9, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Celtic Fairy Tales






I was excited when I saw that this story was in this unit! When I was researching stories to use in my storybook I came across this story but because of time and the fact that it didn’t really fit with the direction I wanted my storybook to go in. I’m glad that I got a second chance to go back and read this story. I noticed that this story had some similarities to one of the stories that used in my storybook – Baba Yaga. In this story, the woman tried to get water for the witches by carrying it in a sieve just like the little boy in the Baba Yaga story. Both characters tried many times to carry the water but the water kept running out. Both sets of witches told the characters to seal the sieve with clay. I thought it was kind of interesting that in both stories, a sieve was used to try to carry water. I wonder if there is some symbolic reasoning behind this or do witches just enjoy watching their “victims” carry water. 





No comments:

Post a Comment